A hurricane can leave your home with wind and water damage. In a perfect world, your insurance company will pay out your claim without dispute. However, there is a possibility that the insurance company will not pay your claim as expected. A public insurance adjuster can help. If you must file a claim, here is what you need to know about how an adjuster can help you.

How Can the Adjuster Help?

A public insurance adjuster does not work for the insurance company. He or she is there is represent your interests. The adjuster knows the insurance industry and understands the terms of your homeowner's policy.

If your claim is denied by the insurance company or you are offered a smaller amount than expected, the adjuster will review your damages and determine what you are entitled to. Once he or she has a claim amount, the public insurance adjuster will negotiate with the insurance company to get a fairer settlement.

The public insurance adjuster is not just there after you file the claim. You can also hire an adjuster before you file. The adjuster can help with addressing questions that are asked by your insurance provider that could impact your payout.

Do You Need an Adjuster?

Hiring a public insurance adjuster might not be the right move in your situation. For instance, if you have a small claim, you can likely handle the negotiations yourself. Remember, you still must cover the costs of the adjuster.

However, if you have a large claim, such as significant damages from flood waters and wind, the adjuster can likely help. Insurance policies are complex and the type of damage that is left behind by a hurricane might require filing on more than one policy. For instance, you might have to file claims on your flood insurance and homeowner's insurance to cover the damages.

An adjuster can help determine which claims you will need to file and can help with determining which damage resulted from certain factors. Knowing the exact causes can play a major role in whether you are properly compensated for your damages.

You should also consider a public adjuster if you are not receiving communications from the insurance company. Ideally, the insurance company's adjuster should be keeping you updated on your claim, but if you are not receiving any responses, a public adjuster can step in and get information about your claim.